Sunday 4 March 2018

Sunday March 4

I wasn't planning to post anything here today, but sometimes birds just appear in front of you. Like today.

Before I go on, I should mention that my trip to the paper shop yesterday produced two Hawfinches, one a male. Unfortunately I hadn't taken my camera. Meanwhile the bird feeding was being appreciated by all the usual suspects, my favourite being the Fieldfare which continues to stand on the front step waiting for an apple to be thrown out. He's practically a pet. Also, a Cormorant from the back window was an unusual addition to the "seen from the garden" year-list which even I'm not sad enough to keep...except in my head.

Anyway, I was just putting the finishing touches to my other blog, Morton Bagot birder, when I looked up to see a male Blackcap swinging from the fat balls.

Blackcap
I have to say that I was thrilled. In many previous years this would not have been an unusual sight, but last winter I really struggled to see any. Until this lunchtime I had drawn a complete blank for the 2017/2018 winter and I was resigned to waiting for the spring influx.

I almost added another year tick on the way back from Morton Bagot. Roadworks are currently diverting me to the other end of Alders Drive, which is the northern border of this patch. On the dual carriageway I spotted a Kestrel which kept pace with the car before veering off as I approached the island (from where I would be allowed to tick it). But I couldn't see it.

What a daft game Patchwork Challenge is. I love it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment