Thursday 1 March 2018

Mostly March 1 - and entirely in the garden

The beast from the east has arrived. Well actually its snowing, its very cold, its not as bad as the snow in December.

While I was at work, Lyn picked up my camera and made me quite envious as she reported the return of a Fieldfare, and more significantly for our garden, a large thrush in the apple tree. She photographed it.

Mistle Thrush
I am struggling to recall whether I have ever seen a Mistle Thrush actually in our garden. They occur sparingly in the surrounding area.

This morning I chucked out more apples, topped up the feeders, and sat back to enjoy the show. The birds did not disappoint.

Fieldfare
Greenfinch
Goldfinches
Chaffinch
Dunnock
Particularly significant were the pair of Greenfinches on the feeder (we rarely see them), and the Goldfinches (not often on the feeder), a further 25 flew over.

Sadly for me, there has been no return of the Mistle Thrush and no obvious visible hard-weather movement, apart from 10 Fieldfares going west.

Redwing



No comments:

Post a Comment