Sunday 18 March 2018

Sunday March 18

I woke up to snow. Only a few centimetres but it was still snowing. The roads to Morton Bagot were likely to be tricky, so I wimped out. Arrow Valley Lake didn't seem such a bad substitute given its recent run of decent birds.

Spring-time in Redditch
I did a circuit in the teeth of a biting north-easterly. The 128 Black-headed Gulls hunched on the lake's surface facing the gale were mainly in summer plumage. Surely if I kept scanning them I would eventually find that something exciting had joined them. Sadly the best I could do was an adult Common Gull, my second here this year.

Common Gull
The Oystercatchers were still present, but with the sailing club now open they were flying around all over the place. At least five Little Egrets, a Shoveler, seven Cormorants, and 16 Great Crested Grebes formed the supporting cast.

At least there was some visible migration to see. Flocks of thrushes periodically flew west, and I estimated 20 Redwings, and 15 Fieldfares. Also two Meadow Pipits headed east, my first of the year.

Spring is definitely on hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment