Saturday 30 March 2019

52 moths - 29/30 March

I almost chose not to put the trap out last night as the forecast suggested it would be cold and clear. Within minutes I knew I had done the right thing as moths were soon fluttering against the window and I was dividing my attention between watching West Brom beat Birmingham City and grabbing moths for identification.

This morning I peered into the trap and eventually tallied 52 moths of six species. These included one new for the garden (and a very attractive lifer for me) in the form of a Pine Beauty.

Pine Beauty
The full list was: 33 Common Quakers, 11 Small Quakers, five Clouded Drabs, a Double-striped Pug, a Light Brown Apple Moth, and a Pine Beauty.

The only other thing to report is a bee in the house yesterday morning which carefully removed, photographed, and placed on the Rosemary growing outside the kitchen window.

Red Mason Bee
I identified it as a Red Mason Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment