Wednesday 3 April 2019

An unexpected visitor

Sometimes you don't have to try too hard to see wildlife.

Last night I was putting off lights, checking the doors etc before heading for bed when I noticed a butterfly-like shape on the wall of the dining room. I grabbed my pot and caught it. When I put the light on it went berserk, so I had to return the room to semi darkness to calm it down.

Eventually it settled and I walked it into the hall where I was able to confirm what I had suspected. I had caught an Early Thorn.

Early Thorn
This is, as the name suggests, a moth which appears early in the year. I managed to capture one with the moth-trap last year, but this second one came as surprise.

The last time the windows were open was at the weekend when Lyn was cooling down in the afternoon. They were accidentally left that way until nearly midnight, so I guess the moth must have come in then and remained undetected until last night.

I released it (well, took the lid off the pot) and photographed it this morning. A male Blackcap appeared in the apple tree while I was making breakfast, and I was almost tempted to rush out and shoo it away.

Shame about the sub zero temperature overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment