Saturday 6 April 2019

Saturday April 4

After waiting impatiently for the temperature to rise this week, last night it was just about ok so the moth trap went out. I quickly noticed a pug on the window of the utility room, and potted it to see what it was.

As I had hoped, it turned out to be my first Brindled Pug of the year. I decided to photograph it under artificial light and then release it. There was always a chance it would find its way into the trap by morning. I also saw a micro, probably a Light Brown Apple Moth, but didn't look at it closely enough to be sure.

Brindled Pug
So a rather poor photograph. Annoyingly there was no sign of it, or the possible LBAM, by morning.

However, there was another species of geometer on the window, and a much more attractive one. A Streamer was new for the year. I only saw one last year so it is also a bit special for the garden.

Streamer
The rest of the catch were in the trap. It contained 10 Common Quakers, one Small Quaker, two Hebrew Characters, and one Clouded Drab.

Clouded Drab
So 17 moths of seven species (including the possible LBAM) represented a typical haul for a cool night in early April.

No comments:

Post a Comment