Thursday 28 March 2019

Casual mothing

Since my last post I have seen three moths.

The first was a ridiculously tiny micro which I found on the inside pane of our back garden window. Getting any sort of image of a 2mm moth was quite a challenge, but I eventually came up with something which the Warwickshire Moth Group suggested was a leaf-miner, Stigmella sp.


On Wednesday, back at Selfridges, I spotted a moth behind the grating of a air duct. It was inaccessible, except that by standing on tiptoe I was able to photograph it with my mobile. Two people, a road sweeper and a hijab wearing young woman, asked if I needed any help. I think they were referring to my mental health! My tenth attempt came out well enough for me to identify it as a Common Quaker.

Finally this evening I was about to start cooking Spaghetti Bolognese when I noticed a pug sp fluttering outside the kitchen window. I was out in a flash and duly caught what turned out to be my first Double-striped Pug of the year.

Double-striped Pug
Shots taken under electric lights never come out very well. I nevertheless decided to let it go rather than keep it until morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment