Friday 1 March 2019

Mothing - 28 Feb/1 Mar

I seem to remember declaring (or at least thinking) that this year I would only put the trap out once per month. Well that seems to gone by the board as the mild, rather damp, overnight conditions encouraged me to run it again.

I was up early and quickly spotted the back end of a moth poking out from a narrow cavity between the wall of the trap and one of the supports. It looked like a geometer (and therefore interesting). I eventually poked it out with a ruler, but before I could pot it, or even get a good look at it, it took to the air and fluttered around behind the trap with me in hot pursuit. Not hot enough though, because it seemingly vanished.

So a disappointing start but as soon as I started examining the inside of the trap I soon found there were lots of moths; 23 in all.

The majority, 18 of them, were Common Quakers. However I soon started to find some that were different. Three Small Quakers were new for the year, as was a Clouded Drab. There was also one that didn't look familiar at all, although it did eventually turn out to be a species JS had identified from a photograph last year. A Chestnut.

Small Quaker and Common Quaker
Clouded Drab
Chestnut
With almost as many moths trying to hide in recesses in the box as were in the egg boxes, I had the tricky task of extracting each one with the tip of my pencil before placing the dangling creature onto a green napkin I had spread out on the garden table. The eventual effect was quite impressive.


Or appalling if moths give you the collywobbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment