Friday 2 November 2018

Friday November 2

As the month changes from October to November, so the emphasis of my recording effort switches from moths to birds. I decided to take a stroll around Arrow Valley Lake for the first time since September.

It was a sunny morning, there had been a loud bonfire night fireworks event overnight and half-term meant numerous families joining the ever present dog-walkers.

Against this backdrop I was astonished to find myself adding two species to my year list, and seeing several other interesting ones to boot.

The big surprise was a female or immature Goldeneye. Initially found sleeping on a raft, it was later seen to be actively feeding. With no regular recording lodged with the WMBC recorder, beyond recent Wildfowl Counts for the WWT, I cannot say how rare they are here. All I can say is that I haven't seen one before.

Goldeneye
Also present in the same arm of the lake, on the next raft in fact, were two female Teal. My last record here was during the beast from the east period last winter.

Teal
The duck tally was completed by four Shovelers, and the usual Mallard. Feeling rather pleased with this turnout I continued my circuit, noting four Cormorants, and single fly-over Skylark and Siskin.

An impressive tit flock included about ten Long-tailed Tits, while a Grey Wagtail flew in and landed in the tiny stream next to the lake. A Kingfisher sat in the foliage on the smaller of the two islands.

I was almost back to my starting point when I noticed a Kestrel perched at the top of a pine tree, seemingly intent on following the progress of some prey item in the close cropped grass below him.

Kestrel
This species has proved to be surprisingly scarce on the patch over the last couple of years. I generally end up hoping to see one perched on the streetlights lining the Coventry Highway, so it was a bonus to see a bird at Arrow Valley Lake for the first time.

One final oddity was a swimming Grey Heron.

Grey Heron
I have witnessed this behaviour before, but probably less than a handful of times in the last forty years of birding. This particular bird took off shortly after I took the photo.

Regarding moths; I have put the trap out tonight, but the forecast cloud cover seems to be late arriving, and I am expecting my first nil return since I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment