Wednesday 7 November 2018

Wednesday November 7

Its a bit ironic, but I seem to have finally captured a good moth, albeit a micro, without actually deploying the moth trap.

I came home from work yesterday evening and found it resting on the outside of the front bedroom window. I opened the window, extended an arm, and caught it easily enough in a pot. It was a very pale Tortrix moth, and my immediate reaction was pale = worn. Nevertheless I couldn't get it to fit anything, so posted a picture on the Warwickshire Moths Facebook group site I have joined. I was expecting to be either ignored, or be told to stop wasting their time with manky old micros. But no, a Martin Phillip replied in no time at all with the news it wasn't a worn moth, just a very pale one. Moreover he could narrow it down to two species, Acleris kochiella or Acleris logiana.



By now I had released it, but it was still on the window. I measured it as one averages larger than the other. Unfortunately a forewing of 8mm was great for kochiella, but still didn't rule out logiana.

An hour later I thought I should perhaps re-pot it. Sadly (not for the moth) it had gone. So by the time I was being told they would both represent a good record, it was too late.

Also; I saw a Herald on the side of Selfridges in town. My first. Yes I am definitely a novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment