Monday 25 June 2018

Tuesday June 26

Its the early part of the week and the nights are getting intolerably warm. Perfect for moth-trapping, or it would be if I didn't have to go to work in the morning.

Instead I have had to rely on the bathroom window to usher in a trickle of moths. Two nights ago I caught my first Willow Beauty of the year. Quite a large and impressive moth, but one I record every year even without a moth trap.

Willow Beauty
Last night a tiny micro was potted in the bathroom and a larger micro in the bedroom. This morning I had a brief surge of adrenalin when I thought the second of the above was a Nationally scarce macro, before I saw its underwing and I realised it was just a Green Oak Tortrix, not even new for the year.

The first moth, however, was new for the year (but not for the garden). It was a Blastodacna hellerella. They were both surprisingly photogenic when I released them from the pots.

Green Oak Tortrix and Blastodacna hellerella
I wish they would all pose this nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment