Saturday 23 June 2018

Saturday June 23

My regular readers (both of you) will have noticed that this blog has been getting very mothy lately.

In an attempt to redress the balance I set off for what was intended to be an hour of looking at dragonflies and butterflies at Ipsley Alders. Unfortunately the decision was made in haste and I forgot to take a spare camera battery. So after photographing a handful of species I was obliged to return.

Before that happened I added Ringlet, and amazingly Small Tortoiseshell to the butterfly year-list. The fact that it has taken me so long to see a Small Tortoiseshell is partly down to a lack of effort, but also reflects their continuing decline. In past years I would expect to note one in the garden during the spring. Today's insect was probably newly emerged.

Ringlet

Small Tortoiseshell
I also saw a couple of Small Whites feeding on the vegetation next to the pond.

The first dragonflies I saw were Black-tailed Skimmers, and I quickly followed these up with flight only views of Emperor, Broad-bodied Chaser, and Brown Hawker. I eventually managed to photograph the Black-tailed Skimmers and a pair of Blue-tailed Damselflies before the battery packed up.

Black-tailed Skimmer

Blue-tailed Damselflies
A couple of professional looking photographers were also snapping away. I bet they brought spare batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment