Tuesday 29 August 2017

Monday August 28

A warm and sunny day was largely spent in the garden.

Early on, a little moth was disturbed from the patio but disappeared before I could confirm my suspicion that it was a Garden Carpet.

During the afternoon we sat out, Lyn reading, while my eyes were drawn to the Buddleia. It attracted at least three Small Tortoiseshells, three Red Admirals, a couple of Small Whites and a Large White. This was good, but I can't help thinking that in years gone by the totals would have been a lot larger and surely would have included many Peacocks.

Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Large White
I suppose that on these warm days in early autumn, I am always studying the skies. My dream bird would be an Osprey heading south. It'll probably never happen. Instead I counted up to six House Martins, while House Sparrows, Blue Tits, and Robins gradually overcame their fear and landed on the feeder. One of our neighbours keeps pigeons, but this is the first year they have adopted our garden.


Overnight two moths appeared in the bathroom. One was another Agriphila geniculea, but the second was a Garden Carpet, surely the one I had seen during the morning.

Garden Carpet Xanthorhoe fluctuata

No comments:

Post a Comment