Friday 4 August 2017

Friday August 4

Finally, after basically ignoring the place all summer, I got the opportunity to walk to Ipsley Alders. The intention was to see as many dragonflies as possible as they have been much neglected thus far.

I actually met another nature photographer, and in the brief chat we had I understood he had been photographing fungi with his macro lens. I had just photographed a female Sparrowhawk which was being heckled by its very vocal newly fledged child.

Female Sparrowhawk
I reached the pool and soon started accumulating dragonfly species. There were numerous Blue-tailed Damselflies and smaller numbers of Common Darters. A Southern Hawker perched helpfully, but the far more numerous Brown Hawkers refused to land, as did a single male Emperor.

Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Darter
Southern Hawker
Moving to the other end of the pool to avoid a smoking fisherman, I found more dragonflies. A couple of Black-tailed Skimmers were not unexpected, and I saw several "blue" damselflies without getting good enough views to identify them. Then I discovered there were lots of Small Red-eyed Damselflies. Ten years ago this would have been big news, but this recent colonist has established healthy populations locally, and I seem to see them wherever I go.

Black-tailed Skimmer
Small Red-eyed Damselfly
Orgy in full swing
I also had a distant view of a Common Emerald Damselfly to complete the odonata list.

No comments:

Post a Comment