Monday 14 August 2017

Monday August 14

It has been a rather unsatisfactory period since my last post.

The cool weather has restricted the number of insects reacting to the bathroom light, and those that have come in have been tricky or too difficult to identify. This irritates me.

Last night was a bit warmer and four moths turned up. Two were Pugs, one was Mother of Pearl, and one was a rather nice Green Carpet moth.

Green Carpet
The Pugs were different sizes so I felt sure they were different species. However, some research suggested that a species I have recorded before, Double-striped Pug, varies not only in upper wing pattern, but also in size. So I think they may both have been that species.

Double-striped Pugs?
One other species turned up, a Common Wasp. The discovery of a wasp nest in the window frame of the other window in the bathroom has caused some consternation in the family. I am in a minority of one where it comes to allowing them to remain.

I'm afraid their days are numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment