Saturday 8 July 2017

Saturday July 8

Yesterday morning I spotted a pug on the kitchen window. After potting it I decided it was a Double-striped Pug, a species I have recorded in the garden before.

Double-striped Pug
Last night, another Tortrix moth made it into the bathroom. Currently down to one pot I decided to photograph it in the poor light of the living room before releasing it and hoping for something bigger.

Fruit-tree Tortrix sp
Nothing turned up, and the photo leaves me torn between Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix and Barred Fruit-tree Tortrix.

However, tonight was a different story. It began well as I found a second perspex pot. This meant that as long as only two moths turned up I would be able to carry on catching and photographing the following morning.

Straight away I caught my two moths, a massive Large Yellow Underwing, and a fascinating micro which was clearly going to be a new one.

Large Yellow Underwing
The new one proved to be Ypsolopha scabrella, the first of this genus of moths I have seen, though evidently not rare.

Ypsolopha scabrella
Unfortunately it didn't stop there, as four more moths entered the bathroom. Two were species I had seen this year, Crambus pascuella, and a Double-striped Pug. The third was possibly the moth from last night. My only option was to photograph them in the unnatural light of the bathroom.

Probably Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix Pandemis heparana
Crambus pascuella
Double-striped Pug
The last one was probably a new species, but my photo attempt was awful. My only hope is that it is still in the bathroom and I catch it tomorrow night.

Tortricidae sp
All to play for then.

No comments:

Post a Comment