Monday 24 July 2017

Monday July 24

Most of the action recorded in this blog occurred on Sunday. Overnight I caught a couple of moths. One was another Blastobasis adustella, but the second was a macro-moth which I thought would be straightforward to identify. Today I realise it is actually not identifiable to species without an examination of its genitalia.

Common Rustic ag Mesapamea sp
The problem is that Common Rustic is vary variable, as is Lesser Common Rustic, and a species called Remm's Rustic, which the book I use doesn't even illustrate and which may not actually be a species at all.

Easier species included two Peacocks, three Red Admirals, a Comma, and a Holly Blue which all appeared in the garden yesterday. Also the local Robin has brought its surviving fledgling to the garden.

Peacock
Just fledged
Last night two small macros turned up. One was instantly identifiable as a Straw Dot, so I released it. The second was a pug sp, but I have now decided it is a dull example of Double-striped Pug.

Double-striped Pug

No comments:

Post a Comment