Tuesday 23 August 2016

Tuesday 23 August

Since my last post the weather has warmed up again, and each evening has brought mini-beasts to examine and try to identify.

Beginning with Saturday evening I found a Hawthorn Shieldbug on the bedroom wall, and a boring little Brown House Moth in the bathroom. The following morning I photographed them with such mixed results that the moth, which quickly flew off, will not be shown.

Hawthorn Shieldbug
Shortly after the photo-shoot, I opened the front door to find a tiny little moth on it. This turned out to be the 25th record for Worcestershire of a micro-moth called Psychoides flicivora.

Psychoides flicivora
They apparently thrive on ferns, and its probably no coincidence that we have some right outside the front door. They are also an accidental introduction from Asia.

On Sunday evening a small macro-moth flew into the bathroom, and I was able to catch it and identify it as a Garden Carpet. Surprisingly, this was still a first for our house.

Garden Carpet
The following evening I caught a Cranefly which I think was Tipula oleracea, a Pug species, but released it when a common, but pretty, moth flew in. This was a Brimstone Moth, and a species I have recorded in several previous years.

Tipula oleracea

Brimstone moth
This morning, as I was supposed to be preparing to go to work, I noticed another moth on the kitchen window. I nipped outside and photographed it, deciding it was an Orange Swift.

Orange Swift
The reflection of the garden in the window makes for a very unusual shot. Finally, I arrived home to find that Lyn had entered into the spirit of it all as she directed me to a micro-moth in the utility room. This turned out to be Pyrausta aurata, although I may have released it a bit hastily as there are other Pyrausta species I should have considered. However, as I let it go I spotted a blue butterfly on the lavender.

Holly Blue
Not the first I have seen in the garden, but the first time I have photographed one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment