Saturday 13 August 2016

Saturday August 13

Regrettably I have very little to report since my last post.

The open bathroom window has ushered in very little, perhaps because of the coolish nights and strong winds of the last week. A further problem concerns the early starts I have to make to get to work. The issue is that I end up trying to photograph my "catch" in slightly gloomy post dawn light resulting in imperfectly precise identifications.

So last Sunday I potted a ridiculously small micro moth which turned out to be one of a genus called Bryotropha which comprises several near identical species. I came up with the name Bryotropha senectella, but this could easily be incorrect. The slightly blurry photograph didn't help much.

Bryotropha affinis
The following evening I trapped a slow moving beetle which is clearly some kind of weevil.

Possibly a Vine Weevil
It turned out that there are very many species of weevil to consider, so I am not sure which one I have caught.


No comments:

Post a Comment