Sunday 28 August 2016

Sunday August 28

This week initially saw a certain amount of repetition, with moths in the bathroom being Square-spot Rustics, but also a new grass moth for me, called Agriphila geniculea. After discovering the first in the bathroom, there was another on the front door, then another in the bathroom etc etc.

Agriphila geniculea

Square-spot Rustic
However, last night a completely new moth turned up. It was worryingly active in the pot, but I worked out it was a Flame Carpet. The following morning, I took a precautionary photo through the perspex of the pot just in case it made a sharp exit when I removed the lid.

Flame Carpet
Unfortunately the flaming Flame Carpet paused for just a couple of seconds before disappearing around the corner of the house, and I duly missed the shot.

Finally, some bird drama last night as we were about to sit down for an evening meal with my sister and brother-in-law. Lyn noticed a bird fluttering across the garden, and then a cat.  I shot out and shooed off the cat, but it was clear I was too late, as a damaged Woodpigeon scuttled away. By now it was nearly dark so I joined the others for the meal. Within ten minutes the Woodpigeon was fluttering pathetically against the window. I went back out and grabbed it. Its tail was gone, and its left wing was bloodied and damaged. I grabbed it and suck it in a cardboard box to roost it overnight.

This morning it was still alive so I took it to the Hollytrees Animal Rescue Centre. They took it off my hands and promised to attempt to nurse it back to health.

Normally, I must admit, I do not intervene and tend to let nature take its course. But we are very fond of our local Woodpigeons, so we couldn't help ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment