Sunday 14 August 2016

Sunday August 14

Last night I attended a moth trapping evening organised by David Brown. It took place at Coughton Park, and was very enjoyable.

The main relevance to Winyates Beasts was that a fellow attendee was a chap I know only as Martin, but who was evidently a proper expert on micro-moths. I took the opportunity to show him my photos of moths taken in the bathroom (and at Morton Bagot) and was pleased to be informed that I had got most of them right.

The one error concerns the identity of the micro shown in the last post, which is in fact Bryotropha affinis, and not senectella as I had thought.

I have therefore made the necessary amendment.

The only noteworthy creature from the house today came as I was watching the Olympics. Across the road a sizeable Tit flock was giving tantalising glimpses of a phyllosc, which I eventually confirmed to my satisfaction as a Willow Warbler.

Finally, here are some Coughton Park moths, photographed in the light of the moth traps.

Ruby Tiger
Black Arches
Purple Bar
The full list of moths I managed to see was: Ruby Tiger, Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, Large Yellow Underwing, Calcina quercana, Straw Dot, Black Arches, Mother of Pearl, Small Fanfooted Wave, Iron Prominent, Flame Shoulder, Willow Beauty, Lesser Swallow Prominent, Angle Shades, Maidens Blush, Purple Bar, Silver Y, Brimstone Moth, and a Hook Tip sp.

Thanks to all the mothers who told me what I was looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment