Thursday 22 June 2017

Thursday June 22

The very hot weather of the last few days should have produced lots of moths, but its been disappointing. Last night I finally got a few micros. Two were Brown House Moth, but the other turned out to be an Ingrailed Grass Veneer Crambus pascuella.

Crambus pascuella
A common moth, but the first I have identified in the garden.

I've recently discovered the Biological Records Centre's website irecords@brc.ac.com. It is excellent for insects and provides helpful feedback when you submit photographs. I am working my way through a bit of a backlog.

However, I have noticed that there has been no feedback on my moth records. Reading through their forum it would appear that not all recorders favour this system, and moth records in particular seem to be a problem. It seems to depend on whether the particular Vice-County recorder for each species group wants to receive records in this way. Other recording methods are available.

As a former bird recorder, in the days before it all went high-tech, I certainly appreciate the amount of work recorders have to do, without pay. In the meantime I much appreciate the bee, butterfly, and indeed mollusc recorders who have vetted my records so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment