Friday 16 June 2017

Friday June 16

A slightly cooler night, and only one very small moth made it through the bathroom window. I thought I recognised it so only got a photo of it in the pot before allowing it to escape. Half an hour later I realised it was actually a new species for me and that my photo was barely adequate.

Pseudargyrotoza conwagana
This morning I headed for Arrow Valley Lake. I counted five pairs of Great Crested Grebes, four Little Egrets, and three adult Oystercatchers which flew around and left.

It was rather overcast, although the sun was trying to break through. This may have been the reason I didn't see a single butterfly or dragonfly on my walk round. Pretty disappointing. However, I did spot a new moth, my first Longhorn moth. Unfortunately I messed up the photograph of this micro, but I am pretty sure it was Nemophora degeerella.

It was rather small.
Nemophora degeerella
After studying the zoomed in shot in the back of the camera I realised it was a bit out of focus so returned to the spot, but couldn't relocate the moth.

Yesterday we visited Compton Verney near Wellesbourne with friends. The highlights creature-wise were a Red-eyed Damselfly on a Lily pad, and a Red Kite. I don't know of any Lily pads on my Winyates Beasts patch, so I doubt I will find one here.

Red-eyed Damselfly at Compton Verney

No comments:

Post a Comment