Tuesday 21 March 2017

Monday March 21

This post does not relate to the patch, which I left at 07.15 and returned to at dusk.

I have been adopting a supercool approach to this winter's Waxwing influx, and continue to hope that some find their way to Winyates East.

However, my journey to work takes me past an extremely promising red berry bush (I'm not sure of the species) in Birmingham, and this morning I broke my duck. The bush is about half way along Hollybank Road in King's Heath, and sits in front of a rather ugly tower block.

The council has decreed that the speed limit there is 20mph, which is rather handy if you are driving along looking at the treetops instead of the road. So as I edged along this morning, leading a procession of exasperated fellow commuters, a medium sized Waxwing-shaped bird landed in a tree across the road from the bush. As I debated what effect an emergency stop would have, another bird, quite definitely a Waxwing, flew across to join it.

I chose not to break my journey, safe in the knowledge I had seen enough to secure an identification.

I saw nothing on the return commute, but will have another look tomorrow and will take my camera on Friday as Lyn has another appointment with her hairdresser handily close by.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment