Saturday 11 February 2017

Saturday February 11

We awoke to lead grey skies and a light drizzle of sleet and snow. I wasn't planning to do any birding but by mid-morning I couldn't resist a short stroll to the derelict High House Farm and adjacent poplar plantation.

High House Farm
The Poplars
The main target of this morning's foray was the horse paddocks which I hoped might contain one of the two species of relatively common thrush I am currently missing from my year-list.

In the event I recorded only the other three thrushes; four Blackbirds, two Song Thrushes, and two Redwings.

Redwing
A Wren, a Goldcrest, a Stock Dove, and a Great Tit were seen before I had a heart-stopping moment as I released my camera not into the cosy confines of my shoulder bag, but instead to the concrete path with a sickening crunch. I feared, and expected, the worst, but remarkably it seems to have survived the experience undamaged.

I strolled back through the estates seeing nothing better than a fly-over Grey Heron.


No comments:

Post a Comment