Saturday 18 February 2017

Mostly Upton Warren - Moors Pool

The title of this blog comes from the fact that I spent the morning gardening, gaining lots of brownie points, but no patchwork challenge points. The nearest I came was a fly-over Grey Wagtail, which I had ticked yesterday.

The afternoon involved a trip to Webbs, where I deposited Lyn and her friend Maureen, allowing me an hour and a half to visit my old stamping ground, Upton Warren. I reasoned I only had time to visit either the Moors Pool, or the Flashes, and plumped for the former.

The Moors Pool
As expected the pool was awash with birds, including several hundred Black-headed Gulls preparing to roost and about 60 Shovelers. From Lapwing Hide (as it is now called) I had great views of a small party of Curlews which were also preparing to roost.

Curlew
A Little Egret was a bit too distant for an acceptable photograph, so I settled for one of the Oystercatchers which had returned last week.

Oystercatcher
Other birds recorded which I would be delighted to find on either of my two local patches included a couple of Cetti's Warblers, a squealing Water Rail, and a flotilla of Pochard.

Pochard
I didn't see anyone I knew, but chatted to a guy who told me that the first Avocets of the year had returned to the Flashes today. I could have dashed to see them, but decided not to bother.

It will be interesting to see what scarce birds this year brings to Upton Warren.

No comments:

Post a Comment