Friday 3 February 2017

Friday February 3

So, January is finally out of the way.  Obviously it is still winter, but I am now psychologically geared towards looking for signs of spring. Yesterday, hope was provided by a queen wasp hovering in front of the garage doors.

Today I headed for Arrow Valley Lake optimistic that I should at least gain a few year-ticks. I probably should have arrived before 09.00 am as the next two hours was spent in the company of dog-walkers, joggers, and a fallen woman (someone called an ambulance for her).

Despite ranging more widely than just the pool, I only recorded birds I have already seen on patch this year. Sunny intervals and a light breeze gave a spring-like feel and the birds were behaving accordingly.

I heard at least four singing Treecreepers, and several singing Song Thrushes.

Song Thrush
On the pool three pairs of Great Crested Grebes were getting frisky, displaying enthusiastically.

Great Crested Grebes
On the island I counted at least seven heron nests, of which three were definitely occupied.

Grey Heron on nest
At least nine Goosanders were a reminder it is still winter, and the lake also hosted 101 Black-headed Gulls, 100 Canada Geese, six Tufted Ducks, and nine Greylag Geese.

A drake Goosander
Other birds seen included Kingfisher, Nuthatches, Common Buzzard, and Stock Dove.

Nuthatch
Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull

Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment