Tuesday 12 July 2016

Tuesday July 12

As I have mostly been at work since the weekend, very little wildlife watching has been going on.

The only notable bird was a Green Woodpecker which I heard from the bedroom window on Monday morning. This species always seems to appear in late summer, perhaps to take advantage of the ant harvest. Anyway, this particular bird failed to show itself.

That leaves me with two insects to talk about, both found in the house. Last night I caught one of those extremely annoying little moths which basically live in the house. I believe it to be the Brown House Moth, Hofmannophila pseudospretella.


Whatever it is, I liberated it in the garden in the morning, but have a feeling it would have been much happier in the house.

Hardly had I dealt with one insect, when a second found its way into a pot of cherry tomatoes I pulled from a cupboard. This time the beast in question was clearly an Earwig.


I gave it the same pot treatment, photographing it in the pot because I knew it would scuttle off as soon as I gave it its liberty...which it did.

Typical of insects, I then found there are several species of Earwig to consider. However, leaving it in the pot for the photograph did have one unexpected advantage, which is that the two commonest species are the Common Earwig and the Lesser Earwig. The pot has grid lines, so I am able to accurately measure the Earwig and thus confirm it as a Common Earwig.

No comments:

Post a Comment