Monday 4 July 2016

Monday July 4

Well here we go again. A new blog.

This time I am concentrating on the few square miles around where I actually live. This most obviously begins with our garden (a few square yards), and the walk to the paper shop. So exciting!

Our house is a small modern detached property in a 1970's estate of "little boxes" very typical of new towns like Redditch. It sounds pretty dull, but I am intending to demonstrate that wildlife occurs everywhere, and that you just have to look.

The back garden
The front garden

We moved to Redditch twelve years ago, and our corner never fails to impress us with its greenness. Vestigial hedgerows, and even strips of woodland abound. Even better, a few hundred yards up the road is a Worcestershire Trust Reserve called Isley Alders. Not that I ever go there. But more fool me, because it is apparently an example of a lowland acid bog with an unusual flora, and maybe fauna.

Another possibility, a short car journey away, is Arrow Valley Lake. This is basically a municipal park with a rather linear lake in the middle of it. Good for Great Crested Grebes and the like. I did visit this pretty regularly for six months a few winters ago, until I got bored of nodding to the same dog-walkers every morning.

Many years ago I twitched a Common Eider there one May, proof if you need it that anything can turn up anywhere.

I am writing this blog as though someone is likely to read it, but to tell you the truth the only reader may be me. In which case I may well whinge about stuff, like over officious gamekeepers at my other patch, the destruction of the countryside, politics, football, anything really.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment