Thursday 4 October 2018

Thursday October 4

A rather cool night, initially clear, but cloudy when I got up.

Inevitably as the nights get longer the moth lists get shorter. Including a couple of micros I caught on the windows last night my grand total was a paltry 16 moths of 10 species.

At least one of them was new for the year, a Snout. This is a species I have caught in the bathroom during the last few years though.

Snout
It was smaller than the main illustration in Waring, but they have a smaller second generation which this moth fits nicely.

The full list was: one Clepsis consimilana, one Carcina quercana, one Codling Moth, one Light Brown Apple Moth, six Large Yellow Underwings, one Lunar Underwing, two Shuttle-shaped Darts, one Square-spot Rustic, one Snout, and two Lesser Yellow Underwings.

The Light Brown Apple Moth looked different to most I have caught, but I eventually decided it could only be that species.

Light Brown Apple Moth
They are very variable.

No comments:

Post a Comment