Tuesday 8 May 2018

Tuesday May 8

Despite it being a work day I have a few things to blog about.

To start with I saw a Red Kite on my morning trip to the paper shop. They're getting closer. I would really like to see, and hopefully photograph, one over the garden. It can only be a matter of time. This morning's bird was fairly low, and it was easy to identify despite having neither camera nor binoculars to hand.

So from things I can identify to things I can't. John has kindly passed judgment on the fuzzy photographs of the five "Brindled" Pugs I sent him. Three of them were indeed Brindled Pugs, but one was a rather worn Oak Tree Pug, and the first one was a Common Pug; new for the year. According to my previous over-confidence I have seen one in the bathroom before, but let's just say the record is now under review.

Common Pug
Brindled Pug

Oak Tree Pug
John is doing his best guide me. The Common Pug has a sub-terminal white line, a white tornal spot, small black discal spots, and a kink in the median white band where it meets the edge of the wing. The Brindled Pug has longish wings, and small discal spot, and small black dashes beyond it.
The Oak Tree Pug has a bigger discal spot with a hint of a whitish surround, and the wings are a bit shorter.

It's a lot to remember when there are bigger and brighter moths demanding your attention. In birding parlance it reminds me of the problems of identifying immature Yellow-legged Gulls from Herring Gulls, and LBB Gulls. It's possible, but can you be bothered?

Well I'm determined to crack it. It just might take a year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment