Friday 4 May 2018

Friday May 4

The moth trap was in action last night and it duly pulled in eleven moths. Strangely, only three of the moths actually got into the trap, the rest were found on the utility room windows, the wall of the house and the fence.

I was delighted to find a really attractive moth, a Waved Umber, in the trap.

Waved Umber
The rest, however, comprised six pugs, a very dull noctuid, two Early Greys, and a Common Quaker.

Early Grey
I spent a long time trying to work out what species the Pugs were, and eventually emailed my findings off to John S. He has now replied with the news I got three right, and three wrong. Not very good in fact.

I clearly have no idea what Mottled Pugs look like, because I have again misidentified a Brindled Pug. Also, one I thought was an Oak Tree Pug was actually a Brindled Pug, and one I thought was a Brindled Pug was an Oak Tree Pug.

Nightmare.

An extremely drab moth was a Clouded Drab, as I had half suspected, and the final moth was a Common Quaker.

Brindled Pug
Smallish Brindled Pug

Oak Tree Pug
Clouded Drab
Tomorrow I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn to watch birds at Morton Bagot for an all day list. Back on familiar ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment