Saturday 24 September 2016

Saturday September 24

The lack of recent posts has been a reflection of my recent lack of effort. Despite commenting that I needed to start looking at birds, I have to admit that the birds noticed in the garden and its environs recently have been too unremarkable to be worthy of comment.

Instead, it is a moth which has sparked the blog back into life. If it had been a rare moth this would have been one of the all-time great intros; I was taking a shower when I noticed a small speck on the shower rail. I wondered if it could be a moth, so captured it to investigate further.

It turned out that it was a tiny moth, and also that it was a very common one. With the naked eye it just looked like a tiny black streak, maybe the leg of a small spider. But through the lens of my camera, which was having trouble focussing on it because I could not persuade the moth out of the pot, it revealed itself to have an interesting pattern of spots at its rear end, and to actually be fawn brown with white legs and antennae.

Apple-leaf Miner Lyonetia clerkella
The Apple-leaf Miner is probably the smallest moth I have ever identified. It's presence is not unexpected as we have an enormous apple tree in the garden. In fact I then investigated the leaves and quickly found several leaf mines which were probably made by the caterpillars of this species.

Leaf ones probably created by an Apple-leaf Miner
While I was messing about with the moth a party of six Meadow Pipits flew south calling.

There you are, some birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment