Tuesday 12 February 2019

Selfridges comes up trumps

The moth famine was broken this morning on my way to work. The discs on the side of Selfridges in Birmingham city centre seem to act as a giant moth trap. The favoured areas are the heating ducts, and I was very pleased to discover a Satellite there, the first I have ever seen.

Satellite
I had devised a plan for this year, although I wasted the opportunity on 2 Jan, when I found an Angle Shades. The plan was to take a moth pot into work in the hope I would find another one.

My colleagues' reaction to my placing it in the fridge for the day varied between alarm, revulsion, concern, and fascination. I was obliged to bodge a hole in the lid of the pot to give it some air (I'm sure it would have been fine anyway).

This evening I photographed it and let it go in the garden.

The Satellite is a winter flying species which is pretty common if you can be bothered to put the trap out in the winter. My January and February efforts (one in each month) produced absolutely nothing, so its Selfridges 2 Winyates East 0 at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment