Wednesday 25 July 2018

Wednesday July 25

Just a quick pre-moth trap night post. It's been pretty quiet, but picked up last night when I caught two Silver Ys (one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom) and an Agriphila tristella in the bathroom.

This is a very common grass moth, but its still the first this year, so gets its moment in the sun.

Agriphila tristella
Moving away from moths (hurrah), I noticed a "hornet" on the buddleia when I got home from work. But a closer look revealed it had, quite deliberately, fooled me. It was actually a Hornet Hoverfly Volucella zonaria. I have seen a similar species V inana before, but I can't remember identifying this one, and certainly not in the garden.

Volucella zonaria

Its a bit of a relief because I am already anticipating a few wasps in the moth-trap (they may be nesting in the shed again), and I didn't fancy battling with a Hornet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment