Friday 13 April 2018

Friday April 13

The day dawned grey, just for a change! However, the temperature is rising.

Arrow Valley Lake seemed to contain the same migrants as on my last visit, but in better numbers. At least six Willow Warblers, five Chiffchaffs, and four Blackcaps were singing. A surprise return visit for the Barnacle Goose I first saw in January gave me the opportunity to get a better photograph of it.

Barnacle Goose
Hirundines started to arrive when I was about half way round. Initially just a couple of Swallows, but then at least 10 Sand Martins appeared. Looking from the dog-leg I realised that several were landing at the top of a tree on the island. Up to nine House Martins appeared, and they joined the other hirundines in the tree-tops.

All three species together
Sand and House Martins
Swallows and House Martins
Finally, my moth trap arrived yesterday and I managed to assemble it without incident (I think).

Proud of my handiwork
I just need some warmer drier nights to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment