Thursday 8 February 2018

Thursday February 8

A walk around Arrow Valley Lake on a frosty but cloudy morning was reasonably productive. I had decided to take a few photos to add to my gallery on the Patchwork Challenge site (when they finally get it working).

As it turned out my first photograph, of Black-headed Gulls standing on the ice, produced an unexpected Patchwork Challenge tick because I must have forgotten to add the species to my list on their site.

Black-headed Gulls
More conventional year-ticks followed when I spotted that the first Oystercatcher was standing on a tyre in front of the yacht club, quite an early return.

Oystercatcher
Judging by the state of its bill it had been digging into the soil to look for worms. A little further around the lake I was pleased to see a pair of Goosanders swimming in the open water.

Goosanders
One Shoveler still remains, and a pair of Tufted Ducks has appeared. I counted eight Great Crested Grebes, and saw a single Little Egret. A Greenfinch was singing in spite of the chilly morning, and a flock of eight Bullfinches was also noteworthy.

Here are some more pics from this morning:

Lesser Black-backed Gull - adult
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 2nd winter
Moorhen
Little Egret


No comments:

Post a Comment