Tuesday 30 January 2018

Tuesday January 30

I have been toying with the idea of getting a moth trap, and have got as far as seeking the advice of my old friend John Sirrett. Never let it be said that I act hastily, my next move will be to get an outdoor socket put in.

In the meantime my first moth of the year couldn't wait for me to stop prevaricating and as I opened the front door to go to work yesterday it flew into the hall. I could tell it was some kind of Plume Moth, but by the time I had returned with my pot it had disappeared.

This morning I found it in the bathroom (why do they always end up there?) I soon trapped it and took a photo in the rather dodgy light on our landing. Unfortunately it is still dark when I leave for work, and darker when I get home.

Anyway I believe it is a moth called Beautiful Plume Amblyptilia acanthadactyla.


It is a hibernator, which explains its sudden appearance at the end of a mild weekend. There is a very similar Plume Moth which I think would be greyer than this one.

Lyn released it once the temperature got up so there was no opportunity to photograph it in truer natural light.

No comments:

Post a Comment