Saturday 25 November 2017

Saturday November 25

No dedicated birding done for the second day running, except that two trips to the paper shop produced three Hawfinches.

Yesterday's was slightly unsatisfactory. I saw what I suspected was a Hawfinch flying across the road into a tree, photographed the tree and found the head of a Hawfinch peering out at me. It quickly disappeared only to fly over my head and land in another tree before disappearing again.

This morning I had one flying away, before finding one in a tree above the paper shop. The sun was against me, but I got a satisfactory shot.


I then edged around the tree and looked back with the sun behind me, but it had gone. However, five minutes later what I presume was the same bird flew over giving the classic "tick.....tick" call. Ironically this is the first one this autumn I have heard making that call.

During the late morning I wandered around without seeing any, and also spent time in the garden pruning the buddleia. The only bird of note to fly over was a Grey Wagtail.

With more than a decade since the last influx, and perhaps 30 years further back to the one before, I am determined to enjoy this one to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment