Thursday 25 May 2017

Friday May 26

Another warm night and sunny morning. The overnight moth catch in the bathroom was slightly disappointing, just one tiny micro. It turned out to be Mompha subbistrigella a species I also caught earlier this year.

Mompha subbistrigella
This afternoon I was staggered to discover a damselfly in our utility room. I quickly potted it and took a couple of photos. As it was a female, I knew that identification could prove problematical. I took a quick shot of it in the pot and then took the lid off expecting it to fly off immediately. Instead, it perched helpfully on the rim of the pot, and photos taken of that moment proved sufficient to identify it as a Common Blue Damselfly Enallagma cyathigerum.

Common Blue Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
The key feature is the little spike on the underside of the eight abdominal segment.

This is the first damselfly I have ever seen in our garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment