Tuesday 11 April 2017

Tuesday April 11

I hate to have to admit defeat, but I am currently staring it in the face after failing to decide even a family for a tiny micro moth I caught this morning.

I noticed it in the bathroom as I emerged from the shower, at first suspecting it was an ant. Once I realised it was a moth I caught it and took some photos in rather dodgy light before I had to leave for work.

Dyseriocrania subpupurella - Common Oak Purple
I was fairly confident I would figure it out, but the grainy image has failed to lead me to a conclusion. I would send the photo to a moth man, but its such a poor photograph I don't think its worth doing.

(However I cracked and sent the image to Michael Southall of Butterfly Conservation who has kindly supplied me with the solution now shown in the caption).

The only other thing to report is that a Chiffchaff was singing while I was playing with the moth, the first from the garden this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment