Thursday 3 November 2016

Thursday November 3

I'm feeling very guilty today.

Partly this is in a "bless me father I have sinned, it is almost a month since my last posting" kind of way. But also because of the havoc I have wreaked upon one of the most wildlife friendly parts of our garden. More of that later.

So now come the excuses. I have not bothered to blog recently because I haven't really had anything to say. A holiday, work, shopping, birding at Morton Bagot, and most of all apathy have resulted in me scarcely bothering to look out of the window lately.

This morning was really rather pleasant in a crisp, cold autumnal sort of way and I resolved to grab my camera and go to post a letter and then head for the local shop. Cutting edge stuff. In the past this sort of morning has at least produced big flocks of Woodpigeons heading over. This morning there were two rather small flocks of them, but it'll do.

Pathetically small flock of Woodpigeons

Slightly less pathetic, still Woodpigeons

Now for the more serious confession. About eight years ago we planted a tiny lavender plant in our back garden. It was very happy there, and it grew. And grew. And GREW. This year it stood about six feet tall, and and spread outwards to make the patio in front of the kitchen window unnegotiable without a machete.

For the last few years I had been told it needed hacking back, and even that it had got to go. But here's the thing, the local bees love it. Butterflies like it. Hoverflies like it. Moths like it. And to be frank I like it, but I also like seeing the garden, and the bloody plant is in the way.

So this morning I did the deed. The lavender is now a sad little stump. As I was chopping away I disturbed a little plume-moth of uncertain species which I swear looked at me accusingly before fluttering off to the underside of our garden table. Homeless.

I promised that moth that we will plant something just as good, but much smaller, in the spring.

Before that, more pruning is expected of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment